- Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds multiple times a day
- Use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not an option
- Wipe down every surface in the house with antibacterial wipes
- Clean air in your home
You’ve done everything you can to protect your family from getting sick. Or have you? Ultraviolet (UV) lights have been proven to help eliminate mold, bacteria, and germs in the air and on surfaces, often being used in hospital settings to sterilize equipment and even entire rooms once a patient has left the area. In some areas, China is utilizing UV lights to sterilize public transportation buses in between trips to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
How Does UV Lighting Work in Your Home?
UV lighting kills single cell organisms, specifically bacteria and fungus, by attacking the organism’s DNA, sterilizing it and preventing it from growing. Mold and bacteria grow in areas of moisture, such are your furnace, air conditioners, and humidifiers. An HVAC professional will install UV lights near the evaporator coils, where much of the moisture is centralized. The UV lights will prevent the molds and bacteria from growing near the coils. When the furnace or air conditioner is being utilized all of the air passes through these coils, which helps to kill the germs that are in the air. Due to the general nature of an air conditioning unit producing moisture, the UV lighting systems are more effective when the furnace is utilized.
How Effective is UV Lighting?
A study by Duke University in 2012 has shown that utilizing UV lights can reduce the amount of bacteria in the air by over 97%, which includes many of the germs that cause illnesses such as the flu and MRSA, both of which may turn into pneumonia or other life-threatening illnesses. Molds and fungi are known to frequently impact people with allergies and asthma. UV lighting can reduce the amount of fungi and mold in the air by almost 99%.
It is important to note that UV lighting has no effect on allergens such as dust and pet dander. UV lighting should not be used to sterilize people or pets directly, as it can cause burning and damage to the skin.
Should You Install UV Lighting in Your Home?
While UV lights are not 100% effective in eliminating all varieties of mold, bacteria, and fungi, they significantly reduce the risk of exposure to disease causing germs and allergens. Utilizing UV lighting will have the largest impact on the elderly and those within your home who may suffer from:
- Mold / fungi allergies
- Autoimmune conditions
- Respiratory issues
It is essential to hire a qualified HVAC technician to ensure that the most effective UV light system is chosen, and the equipment is installed correctly. EMG Mechanical has been installing UV lights into homes and commercial buildings for many years and our team is ready to assist you in determining if UV lighting is right for you and your family.
Give us a call at 734-245-5582 or contact us here to schedule your appointment today!